How it works:
A gas furnace uses a combustible gas – either natural gas or propane as its fuel source. The gas is ignited in a burner assembly and heats up a metal cell called a heat exchanger.
The air from the home is blown across the heat exchanger where it picks up heat and moves it into the house.
- HOT heat. A gas furnace puts out warmer temperatures than a heat pump
- Consistent heat. Unlike a heat pump, a gas furnace will always put out the same temperature of heat, regardless of the outdoor conditions.
- Lifespan. A gas furnace generally lasts longer than a heat pump.
- Dependable. Gas furnaces have fewer mechanical parts and are less likely to break.
- Requires either natural gas or propane. If you don’t have access to natural gas, propane can work, but is often far more expensive to buy.
- A furnace only provides heat. You need a separate central cooling system for A/C.
- Gas heat dries the air. Running a room or whole home humidifier can help.
What heating system should I buy? What is the right heating system for me?
If it’s time to replace your heating and cooling system for your home, you may be wondering what’s the best choice between a heat pump and a gas furnace? The easiest answer is to go back with what’s already there.
To try and convert from one to another can be difficult and costly.
Because furnaces and heat pumps run on two different voltages, new wiring and breakers will be needed. Other expenses, like running gas piping and flue venting can further add to the cost.
However, if you like it hot in the winter, don’t mind paying a little more for the installation and can get either natural gas or propane, a gas furnace is for you!
On the other hand, if you aren’t a fan of heat regardless of the season, or are going for an energy efficient or “green” home, a heat pump is the right HVAC system for you!
So whether you are replacing your existing heat pump with a new heat pump, changing things up and converting from one type to another, or you are building a new home and want a cutting edge system, we have systems to fit your home and budget.